35mm outcome- from Friday 16th, 2016

IMG_20160921_152222912[1].jpg

Above is the contact sheet of the negatives I managed to get from the 35mm camera. The ridges on the film are scuffed and there are scratches on some of the frames as it was my first time developing 35mm film. The images are a little too bright for my liking so next time I could either keep it in the developer for longer or give it a longer exposure to light. I had it exposed for 2.5 seconds so next time I will go for 3 seconds and see how that goes. The two images of the plant (third row of negatives, right-hand side) are a little too dark so I think if I had to just expose those two images then I would use about 2 seconds of exposure. The third and fourth image on the second row of negatives have lost detail as they needed more detail- this would have shown the lines in the faces on the building. The first image on the first row has been cut off due to it being the beginning of the film.

Advertisements

The 35mm outcomes- before they have been edited/inverted

Overall I managed to take 20 good shots

The trees and plants were good as it showed the negatives and detail. The buildings i took photos of were detailed and the camera managed to get the shadows right. The water feature had definite shape and form but I can’t see a 100% detail, i will be able to when i upload the image online. The signs were good and looked quite retro in b&w.

The one bad photo had half a black frame. This was towards the end of the film.The best photos are the Church and the building above bargain buysThe worst photo was one I took of a shop window as it had a lot of glare on it.

I will know what they actually look like when they are edited.

35mm film camera

Today I used the 35mm camera (Asahi Pentax, K1000) for the first time. I went round Rotherham with a friend and we shared the camera had a roll of film which gave us roughly twenty shots each.

The settings used;

  • Iso=125
  • Aperture=F/5.6
  • Shutter speed=125

My friend and I took shots of buildings, flowers, people and shop signs when we were out. The main focus of my friend was flowers whereas my main focus was on buildings and life in general. I captured the minister, the water feature, and shops.

The camera used was heavy compared to newer cameras (mainly DSLR cameras) but was very easy to use. The hard part was when you had to load the film. We had to cut a square out so it would make a small ‘L’ just so we could put the film on the spool. After that, you had to click the shutter and then push at the film advance so the film would go onto the spool. This is harder than it sounds as the film kept coming out of the spool. Eventually, it will go on and then you need to close the back and take a couple of shots (shutter  and then film advance) so it can go to 0. This means that the photos taken after the 0 will be recorded onto the film. After the film is finished with (you can tell as the film advance will not let you go on to another frame) you have to push the button at the bottom of your camera and then pull the rewind lever and spin it until the lever has no resistance. Once you have done this then you can pull up the rewind lever until you can open the back again.

The photos and how they went will be on soon.